Did you know an original copy of the Declaration of Independence is on display at the downtown branch of the Dallas Public Library? How did it end up there?
After the document was handwritten on July 4, 1776, it was taken to John Dunlop, a Philadelphia printer who made approximately 200 copies. Historians consider Dunlop’s first run, the original copies of the Declaration. These copies went out to newspapers and public officials in all 13 colonies.
Today, less than 30 of John Dunlop’s original run still exist and many are in bad condition. The document at the Dallas Main Library is sometimes referred to as “the Lost Copy” because it was discovered in storage in a Philadelphia book store in 1968. Two Dallas businessmen purchased the copy in an auction shortly after it was found. It was later donated to the city of Dallas and put on display in City Hall before finding its permanent home on the 7th floor of the library.
The Declaration is in excellent condition and is housed in a specially designed case that protects it from aging. Its free and open to the public during normal business hours